***Attention aspiring writers of colour!***
Inspired by the work of our author, the entrepreneur and influencer Jessica Huie, and excited by other diversity initiatives in the publishing industry, Hay House UK has been looking at what else we can do to attract and promote more writers of colour in the personal development, holistic health and spirituality space.
We are calling this initiative ‘Diverse Wisdom’ and will be rolling out a programme of events and opportunities, starting with what we hope will become an annual initiative; a competition for aspiring authors of colour writing about personal development, wellness or spirituality.
Three aspiring authors will receive:
- A free place at the Bristol Writer’s Workshop on 13–14 October 2018 OR access to the Online Writer’s Workshop worth $1,199
- Travel expenses and accommodation costs covered, up to £200 per person
- Access to Hay House’s platform- and brand-building masterclass in 2019
- An author-to-author mentorship in which successful Hay House authors will donate their time and offer strategic advice on the best way to get your message out
Applications for Diverse Wisdom Bursaries 2018 are now closed.
This year we were absolutely thrilled to extend the Diverse Wisdom bursary to 12 aspiring writers of colour. After attending our Writer’s Workshop event in Bristol in October, our recipients will now receive author-to-author mentorship from Hay House authors, in addition to access to Hay House’s platform- and brand-building masterclass in 2019.
Diverse Wisdom Panel Event
A masterclass offering writers of colour the inspiration and tools to get their work published, delivered in partnership with the British Library Business and IP Centre on Tuesday 13 November 2018.
This event has been created to support new writers of colour, providing the inspiration, information and insight needed to help get their work published.
Hear from a top-notch panel including:
Michelle Pilley, the Managing Director and Publisher of Hay House UK, who will offer key advice learnt in her 30 years of successful publishing experience and will share expert knowledge of how to nail a publishing deal.
Jessica Huie MBE, the author of Purpose, founder of JH Public Relations and the multicultural greeting card company, Color blind cards, who will draw on her many years of experience working with entrepreneurs and on high-profile PR campaigns to help you embrace visibility and get your message out there.
Vex King, the British Indian Instagram influencer and author of Good Vibes, Good Life who will share his journey to finding an agent and getting a publishing deal and will offer advice on how you can build engagement with your message through social media.
You’ll learn how to:
- Manifest the determination to write and publish your book
- Choose between self-publishing and traditional publishing
- Get a publisher’s attention
- Find an agent
- Write a book proposal
- Handle rejections from publishers
- Contact the press about your book
- Build your online platform and social media
As Vex King says; ‘We need to hear from many voices and backgrounds, as everyone has a story to tell which will inspire others and set them on the path to self-healing.’
Don't miss this opportunity to get the inside-track on getting your voice heard from industry insiders.